To equip students with the knowledge and digital tools needed to excel in education’s new normal, PLDT wireless unit Smart Communications, Inc. (Smart) has partnered with Edukasyon.ph, the largest education technology start-up committed to helping Filipino youth explore and reach their academic goals.
Targeting millions of Generation Z students aged 13 to 23, Edukasyon.ph allows today’s digitally active learners to conveniently access senior high schools, colleges and universities, scholarships, online courses, internships and other learning resources through its education technology platform.
The partnership with Smart is expected to boost Edukasyon.ph’s reach and engagement with students nationwide. To access all the exciting programs, simply go to learn-smart.edukasyon.ph:
- The Smart Pal counselling forum engages current learners in one-on-one consultations with a dedicated guidance counselor. Here, they can inquire about preparing for college applications or entrance tests, SHS strands or college courses to match their skills and interests, tutorial services, and more to help them navigate through their academic lives.
- Smart Sessions webinars, to be conducted with partner schools and notable speakers, that students can join for deeper knowledge on various aspects of education’s new normal, such as online classes, exams and other requirements.
- Smart Start is for graduating students and will offer a certified online internship program where Edukasyon.ph will work hand-in-hand with partner schools and educational institutions for the certification of virtual on-the-job training opportunities.
- Smart Move will gather top representatives from various schools who can go head-to-head in a series of case competitions.
- Super Smart quiz bee will feature a face-off wherein the best students from partner schools will each be paired with a deserving beneficiary for a chance to win a scholarship from Smart.
Improving education and employment outcomes
The partnership of Smart and Edukasyon.ph is directed at improving education to employment outcomes. Studies have shown that while 2 million Filipinos turn 18 each year, up to 80% of them get left behind at some point, as the number of those who graduate from high school, enter and finish college, and find a job is a mere 200,000 students.
Launched in 2015, Edukasyon.ph also operates the website FindUniversity.ph, which attracts more than 10 million visitors each year. The start-up’s digital programs, tools and content aim to empower millions of Filipino youth to make self-aware education decisions that lead to a fulfilling career and life.
“We built our platform because the youth often have limited awareness of opportunities they can pursue, or lack guidance on how to navigate their path from education to career. With the added challenges of the new normal, we’re grateful for this partnership with Smart, which enables us to engage students in a fresh and exciting way, to help them get ahead,” says Henry Motte-Muñoz, Founder of Edukasyon.ph.?
Empowering Filipino learners through technology
Smart’s partnership with Edukasyon.ph is in line with wireless services provider’s thrust to champion the youth — from helping bridge the learning gap the new normal has brought, to making knowledge and learning tools more accessible.
“Our education initiatives at Smart seek to cushion the impact of the shift to distance and online learning necessitated by the global health crisis,” says Jane J. Basas, SVP and Head of Consumer Wireless Business at Smart.
Other #LearnSmart initiatives include the recently concluded first Smart University Virtual Campus 2020. As students joined in-game activities designed to teach, test, and motivate them to excel and reach out to other learners, they earned points to be part of a Leaderboard. Class topnotchers raised enough points to donate five Smart School-in-a-Bag portable digital classrooms for fellow learners with no access to devices this academic year. Teachers will also be provided with laptops and pocket WiFi kits.
Prior to partnering with Edukasyon.ph, Smart introduced Giga Study, a data pack that enables subscribers to access a host of learning and productivity apps. Giga Study 99 includes up to 7 GB of data for Google for Education, Microsoft 365, Canvas, and Neo, plus 2 GB for all sites and apps. Subscribers simply have to register through the GigaLife app or *123#. “We are keen on enriching our data services with solutions that can empower Filipinos. Beyond our brand’s lifestyle offerings, we aim to continuously provide innovative solutions in areas such as education,” Basas adds.
Along with its parent company PLDT Inc., Smart is committed to help the Philippines attain the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals, with SDG #4: Quality Education as a key area.
For more information, follow Smart’s official accounts on Facebook www.fb.com/SmartCommunications, Twitter, and Instagram (@LiveSmart) for updates.