The battle for facts needs you.
This is what more than 100 organizations from the media, coalitions, civil society, business, academe, law, and the Church said as they launched a first-of-its kind initiative on Wednesday, January 26, 2022, called “#FactsFirstPH.”
#FactsFirstPH brings together various sectors that are committed to promoting truth in the public space, and exacting accountability on those who harm it with lies.
“Fighting misinformation is important to Google, and it takes the whole of society, working together, to address it. We are honored to support this grassroots movement across journalism, academia, civil society, and the legal community in the battle against misinformation to help Filipinos make an informed vote and protect the integrity of the democratic process,” said Irene Jay Liu, APAC News Lab Lead, Google.
#FactsFirstPH will collectively push for truth-telling and debunking lies through four steps: fact-checking by news organizations; networking by civil society and grassroots groups; research and analysis by academic institutions; and seeking accountability by lawyers’ groups.
“The attack on facts is personal: if you defend the facts, you’re hammered down, intimidated to stay silent or join the mob. Those aren’t our only options. There is strength in standing up together. Because now more than ever, we need facts,” Rappler CEO and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Maria Ressa said.
The goal of FactsFirstPH is to make truth spread faster and further than lies and hate. It’s a first-of-its-kind, four-layer approach to help restore the integrity of elections, and give the public the information they need to choose the leaders they want on May 9.
As of Wednesday, January 26, over 100 organizations are part of this multi-sectoral initiative. More partners will be invited to the project.
This collaboration is supported by technology non-profit group Meedan, Rappler, and Google News Initiative.
Below is a full list of participating groups in this initiative as of 10:18 am of Thursday, January 27:
- ABKD Network
- ABS?CBN Integrated News and Current Affairs
- Baguio Chronicle
- Catholic Media Network
- Daily Guardian
- Mindanao Gold Star
- News5 Digital
- Probe Productions
- Radyo Veritas
- #CourageON Coalition (89 members)
- #PHVote Coalition (45 members)
- 2030 Youth Force in the Philippines
- ACP3- PEACE T.A.Y.O.
- Alyansa ng Kabataang Mindanao para sa Kapayapaan (AKMK)
- Amateur Media Association of Philippine Scouts
- Bantay Bakuna
- Bayan Mo Patrol Mo
- Boto Pilipino
- Break the Fake
- Brotherhood of Christian – Businessmen & Professionals
- Caloocan Young Leaders Initiative
- Caritas Philippines
- Catholic Bishop’s Conference of the Philippines
- Center for Trade Union and Human Rights
- Coalition for People’s Right to Health
- College Editors Guild of the Philippines
- Concerned Artists of the Philippines
- Council for Health and Development
- Fact Check Philippines
- Free the Artists Movement
- FEU Central Student Organization
- Financial Executives Institute of the Philippines
- Foundation for Media Alternatives
- Holy Angel University
- Human Rights Watch
- Ibon Foundation
- Juan Health PH
- Kilos na para sa Kabuhayan, Kalusugan at Karapatan (K4)
- Kontra Daya
- Makati Business Club
- Move As One coalition
- National Alliance of Youth Leaders Inc.
- Northern Dispatch
- Now You Know
- Out of the Box
- Parish Pastoral Council for Responsible Voting (PPCRV)
- Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism
- Practice of Administrative Leadership and Service – NCPAG
- Rise Up for Life and For Rights (and EcuVoice Philippines)
- Student Council Alliance of the Philippines
- Tamang Boto
- Tatak Botante
- The Amaranth
- UE – Manila CASSC
- University of the Philippines – Los Baños
- Visayas State University
- YouVote Global Shapers Iloilo Hub
- ACCeSs@AIM: Analytics, Computing, and Complex Systems Lab of Asian Institute of Management
- De La Salle University – La Salle Institute of Governance
- Far Eastern University – Public Policy Center
- Philippine Media Monitoring Laboratory, UP Department of Communication Research
- Rappler Research and Data team
- Free Legal Assistance Group
- Movement Against Disinformation
- National Union of Journalists in the Philippines
- Philippine Bar Association